How to recognize dysphagia?
Are you or a loved one experiencing difficulty chewing or swallowing?
Have you lost the desire to eat for fear of choking?
Here are some indicators that may be signs of dysphagia:
- Are you losing weight unintentionally?
- Can't eat the same foods as before?
- Are you no longer able to eat raw vegetables or steak?
- Do you cough regularly while eating?
Do you think you have dysphagia?
Perhaps you are concerned about the nutritional status of a loved one?
Although the following symptoms do not necessarily mean dysphagia, if you answer YES to more than one question, consult a healthcare professional.
Dysphagia is a serious and common problem that can be caused by:
- Partial paralysis (stroke, heart attack)
- Muscular dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis or ALS
- Dental problems